SchellaStarShine: Starting Over

Friday, July 24, 2009

Starting Over

As of May 29th, I joined the ranks of the millions of Americans who are currently unemployed.

Time to start over.

and....

Figure out what to do next.

What do I want to be when I grow up?? Will I ever grow up??

I've been in Sales for the past 6 years and the idea of doing that again fills me with DREAD....HORROR. (Ok, I'm being a little bit dramatic, but really!) Unless....
What if I were selling something that I really believed in.... or LOVED?? What if I were selling something that I created myself??

So....what have I been doing since May 29th? Well......I tore apart my bedroom...ripped up carpet, stripped up paint and sanded, painted the walls with this really crazy gold metallic paint that's so hard to apply that it's taken me 5 weeks to figure out how to fix it!
I now understand why renovating or building a house is considered to be hazardous for your marriage. I am a color girl! I love color and texture and lots of different colors and textures!! My husband, on the other hand, really loved the fact that every wall and ceiling and floor and sink and well....every surface in his house was either beige or white!


It only took me a year and a half to convince him to let me paint one room!



Meanwhile, I've been taking an online stencilry class with Mary Ann Moss over at Dispatch from LA. I needed some inspiration to get my creative juices flowing again! It's been an incredible experience and I highly recommend it!

Experiment on cardboard
A stencil I created using Mimi's trivet for inspiration.
We're creating stencilled artwork pages for our visual journals. I've been so caught up in the process of creating my own stencils that I haven't done much spraypainting on paper yet. Not to mention the fact that it's way too hot right now to be outside spraying for any length of time.

I've also been going on job interviews, reading lots of blogs, checking out Etsy shops, learning how to create a blog, thinking about starting a business, cooking exotic meals for my husband and myself, painting and more painting.....Whew! It's exhausting just writing about it!

This starting over business isn't so bad. I'm on a voyage of self discovery. I'm traveling to uncharted waters via the internet. I keep asking myself why didn't I do this sooner? The answer is that I was stuck. Stuck like Brer Rabbit and the Tar Baby.
Sometimes it takes hard work and determination to become unstuck. Sometimes it takes being "laid off" from a job that makes you miserable. That's what it took for me.

I just got some new stencil masks in the mail yesterday and I can't wait to go try them out!

gotta run!


Cheers!

2 comments:

  1. I think that is a great color for that room. It emits a sense of "full of life." Very nice stencils.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! My husband is adjusting to the color now that the room is almost complete.

    ReplyDelete